Venue: This meeting will be held virtually and a live audio stream can be listened to via www.winchester.gov.uk.
Contact: Matthew Watson, Senior Democratic Services Officer Tel: 01962 848 317, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To record the names of apologies given.
Apologies were noted as above.
Disclosure of Interests
To receive any disclosure of interests from Members and Officers in matters to be discussed.
Note: Councillors are reminded of their obligations to declare disclosable pecuniary interests, personal and/or prejudicial interests in accordance with legislation and the Council’s Code of Conduct.
That the minutes of the meeting be signed as a correct record.
A point was raised regarding item 8 of the previous minutes and specifically the statement:
“Following a request, the chairperson agreed to discuss with officers whether a “top 10” list could be created that gave members a summary across all sections of the key issues raised from the consultation.”
The chairperson advised that he would be discussing this matter with officers and would report back to advisory group members.
That the minutes of the previous meeting held on the 24 November 2021 be approved and adopted.
Public and Member Participation
To receive and note questions asked and statements made from members of the public and members of the council on issues relating to the responsibility of this Advisory Group.
Members of the public and visiting councillors may speak at the meeting provided they have registered to speak three working days in advance.
Please contact Democratic Services by 5pm 7 December 2021 via email@example.com or (01962) 848 264 to register to speak and for further details.
Councillor David Killeen, Chair, Hursley Parish Council addressed the meeting. He informed that the parish council supported a need to maintain existing settlement gaps, specifically between Oliver’s Battery and Hursley and Hursley and Otterbourne. In addition, the parish council felt that the City Council’s Local Plan should not take up housing allocations from neighbouring district councils. Councillor Killeen raised four further questions concerning;
The Chairperson and Adrian Fox (Strategic Planning Manager) responded to the points raised and Mr Fox advised that he would respond in further detail to Councillor Killeen regarding SHELAA site HU03. The Chairperson thanked Councillor Killeen for his contribution.
This agenda item consists of:
Strategic Issues & Priorities Consultation Powerpoint Presentation
And the following supporting documents:
1.Sustainable Development Objectives
3.Biodiversity and the Natural Environment
4.Conserving and Enhancing the Historic Environment
6.Homes for All - specialised housing (To Follow 6/12/2021)
7.Creating a Vibrant Economy (To Follow 6/12/2021)
The Chairperson introduced the item and informed the group that the intention of the meeting was for officers to report back on the responses and the analysis of the final seven topics from the Strategic Issues & Priorities consultation. These topics were:
1. Sustainable Development Objectives
2. Carbon Neutrality
3. Biodiversity and the Natural Environment
4. Conserving and Enhancing the Historic Environment
5. Homes for All - specialised housing
6. Creating a Vibrant Economy
7. General Responses
Members of the advisory group had been supplied with the background documents on each topic as part of the agenda pack. At the end of each topic, members would have an opportunity to provide further comments before the group were asked if they supported the recommended way forward for each.
Adrian Fox (Strategic Planning Manager), Steve Opacic (Strategic Planning Projects Officer), Joan Ashton (Senior Planning Officer) and Bethany Stokes (Planning Officer) provided the advisory group with a presentation that had previously been circulated to members regarding the “Responses to the Strategic Issues and Priorities consultation". The presentation was available on the council’s website at this link. The presentation provided members with the analysis and proposed a way forward for each of the seven topics listed above. Each topic was discussed, with members comments and questions raised as follows:
Sustainable Development Objectives: Analysis & Way Forward.
· Balancing the pressures of economic growth, increased housing development and the impact on existing residents and the environment.
· The number of available brownfield sites and the amount of housing that could be accommodated on this land
· The opportunities and challenges of conversions of office developments into residential properties.
Carbon Neutrality: Analysis & Way Forward.
· Understanding the impact on viability in terms of how far the Local Plan policies can go to address carbon neutrality.
· Understanding how other councils were addressing these issues of carbon neutrality within their Local Plans.
· The importance of site selection which can have a significant impact on climate change.
Biodiversity and the Natural Environment: Analysis & Way Forward.
· The timing and any potential issues of the Partnership for Southern Hampshire (PfSH) Green Belt commission and the City Council’s regulation 18 timescales. (Mr Fox to advise group members of the dates of the breakpoints referred to in his response)
· The policy requirements relating to the development of former Ministry of Defence sites.
Conserving and Enhancing the Historic Environment
· Whether the city council had sufficient resources to support communities with producing Conservation Area Appraisals
· Further information regarding the production of the Buildings at Risk register (Mr Finch to advise group members of further information on this point)
Homes for All - specialised housing
· The importance of student accommodation being sited close to a university campus to minimise the impact on local roads and environment and working with the Universities to enable this.
· How to respond to residents increasing requirements for self-build opportunities.
· Gypsy & Traveller Sites – the benefits of expanding existing sites versus finding new sites and the challenges involved in generating an accurate estimate of need.
Creating ... view the full minutes text for item 5.