That the Scrutiny Committee:
1. Notes that the Performance Panel met on the 21 August 2023 to scrutinise the attached report, CAB3415 and its associated appendices. The notes of the panel’s meeting are included as an appendix of the Cabinet report.
2. Notes that a verbal update will be provided at the Scrutiny Committee.
3. Raises with the Leader or relevant Cabinet member any issues arising from the information in this report, ref CAB3415, which is being presented to Cabinet on the 13 September 2023 and considers whether there are any items of significance to resolve or to be drawn to the attention of Cabinet.
Councillor Caroline Horrill, Chairperson of the Performance Panel introduced the report, reference CAB3415 which set out the Quarter 1 Performance Monitoring report, (available here).
Councillor Horrill provided an overview of the following matters:
1. The meeting was productive, with the presence of key officers to address questions and concerns.
2. Page 77 of the agenda pack, containing the recommendations to the Scrutiny committee, should reference that the Performance Panel met on the 21 August 2023, not the 22 May 2023.
3. She referred to the notes of the Panel's meeting starting on page 179, specifically highlighting item 43 (summary of points to be addressed) and item 44 (feedback for scrutiny committee) on page 184. She raised each of the items listed under item 44 with the committee.
4. Under item 43 (summary of points to be addressed), two items from the notes had been omitted: items 35 and 38.
5. Emphasised the importance of resolving outstanding issues from the report to prevent them from carrying over into the future.
Councillor Wallace addressed the committee and raised the following points:
1. That there were significant improvements in the performance monitoring reports for this quarter compared to last year, particularly in the layout and content of appendices one to three.
2. That in Appendix 4, activities related to Transport, Domestic Energy, and Land Use had undergone review by Council Policy Committees, but when would activities under the Commercial Energy heading be presented to a Policy committee?
3. That in Appendix 4, regarding the Carbon Programme, could Members receive a briefing on the HCC carbon assessment tool that would be utilised in future council processes and reports, as mentioned on page 142?
The committee was recommended to:
1. Note that the Performance Panel met on 21 August 2023 to scrutinise the attached report, CAB3415 and its associated appendices.
2. Note that a verbal update was provided at the Scrutiny committee.
3. Raise with the Leader or relevant Cabinet member any issues arising from the information in this report, ref CAB3415, which was being presented to Cabinet on 13 September 2023 and consider whether there were any items of significance to resolve or to be drawn to the attention of Cabinet.
The committee discussed the report and the points raised by Councillor Horrill and the following additional points were made.
1. Fly tipping reporting and clearance times did not align with a councillor’s real-world experience, and whether further investigation could be carried out to address this.
2. Concerning hydrogenated vegetable oil and hydrogen as diesel alternatives, whether a comprehensive carbon appraisal to address potential environmental concerns was being considered.
1. Noted that the performance panel had met on 21 August 2023 (not 22 May 2023, as inaccurately stated on page 79 of the report) to scrutinise report CAB3415 and its associated appendices.
2. Noted the draft minutes of the panel's meeting and the verbal update provided by the Chairperson, including the summary of points to be addressed and feedback for the scrutiny committee on page 184.
3. Requested that the cabinet:
a) Review the fly tip reporting app to ensure the "submit" button is prominent and distinct from the "save" button.
b) Consider the introduction of a key performance indicator that measures the time taken to remove fly tips "end to end.