It is recommended that the committee scrutinise and comment on the proposals within the attached cabinet report, ref CAB3352 which is to be considered by cabinet at its meeting on the 19 July 2022.
Councillor Power, Cabinet Member for Finance and Value introduced the report, ref SC073 and CAB3352 which set out proposals for the General Fund Outturn, (available here).
The committee was recommended to scrutinise and comment on the proposals within the attached cabinet report, ref CAB3352 which was to be considered by the cabinet at its meeting on 19 July 2022.
The committee proceeded to ask questions and debate the report. In summary, the following matters were raised:
1. clarification of the higher than budgeted collection of business rates
2. clarification of the variances at the Winchester Sport and Leisure Park (WSLP)
3. whether sufficient transparency existed in the financial performance of the WSLP since the ending of the open book arrangement.
4. the lessons learnt concerning the impact of the pandemic on future uptake of sports and leisure activities and specifically how actual usage compared to forecasted usage
5. further information on the timescales and costs to achieve final contract closure regarding the WSLP
6. clarification of the timescales for the Valuation Office determination of the River Park Leisure Centre
7. further information regarding the variance relating to the general election expenses
8. further information regarding the recycling and refuse collection costs
9. whether further claims for Government support packages were awaiting a decision
10. the number of properties within the investment property portfolio listed in paragraph 23.1
11. clarification of the proposal for explanatory notes to be included in Appendix 3 regarding the Winchester Town Forum account.
12. further information regarding the revised budget for "Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funded community projects)” shown in Appendix 5.
These points were responded to by Councillor Power, both Strategic Directors present and the Corporate Head of Financeand were noted by Councillor Power.
1. that officers provide further information to points 4, 5 and 10 above
2. that the committee appreciated the amendments proposed regarding the presentation of the Winchester Town Account figures
3. that officers discuss with the Chairperson as to whether future outturn reports would be presented directly at this committee or via the Performance Panel
that the Cabinet Member and officers note the comments of the committee.