Agenda and minutes

West of Waterlooville Forum - Tuesday, 6th November, 2018 2.00 pm

Venue: Wellington Vale Care Home, Darnel Road, Denmead, Waterlooville, PO7 7TY

Contact: Dave Shaw, Principal Democratic Services Officer  Tel: 01962 848 221 Email:

No. Item


Chairman's Welcome


The meeting was held at the Wellington Vale Care Home, Darnel Road, Denmead, Waterlooville, and the Chairman welcomed approximately ten members of the public, local residents, representatives of amenity groups, together with District, County and Parish Councillors.


The Chairman stated that the membership of the Forum would be given further consideration in view of the forthcoming establishment of the Newlands Parish Council.


The Chairman made reference to consultation launched by AQUIND on the proposed installation of a high voltage marine and underground electrical cable connecting France to Lovedean substation.  The cable would take a route of the A3 and was proposed to run under the Hambledon Road to Denmead through the Major Development Area.  A decision on its installation would be made by the Secretary of State in 2020.


Councillor Clear also thanked the Forum for the letter that had been sent to her.


The next meeting of the Forum to be held on 19 March 2019 would be preceded by a walk of the area.  The meeting would be held in the new community building if it was available.



Disclosure of Interests

To receive any disclosure of interests from Members and Officers in matters to be discussed.

Note: Councillors are reminded of their obligations to declare disclosable pecuniary interests, personal and/or prejudicial interests in accordance with legislation and the Council’s Code of Conduct.



There were no Disclosures of Interest


Minutes of the previous meeting held on 5 July 2018 WWF107 pdf icon PDF 80 KB





That the minutes of the previous meeting, held on 5 July 2018, be approved and adopted.



Public Participation

To receive and note questions asked and statements made from members of the public on general matters of interest and/or matters relating to the work of the Forum. This period is for a maximum of 10 minutes.



During public participation, the following members of the public raised the following points and the officers’ response is set out below:


(i)            David Crichton


Mr Crichton commented that:


(a)  The signage for traffic accessing the Hampshire County Council recycling centre from Berewood had not been put in place (via Houghton Road/Tamworth Road).

(b)  There was a need for an access footpath to Brambles Farm to pass by the Basepoint and Thomas Sanderson developments.

(c)  The question of the water drainage refund was still being progressed.

(d)  Residents not paying at the moment for the maintenance of Wellington Park would not be charged in the future when the site was adopted from Taylor Wimpey.  A management company would ensure its maintenance in accordance with the Section S106 agreement.

(e)  The new parish council should be consulted on the changes of bus routes.  Hampshire County Council and the bus company had changed the route of the D1 bus and this had led to the bus having been caught in traffic congestion.  It was also asked how much subsidy remained in the Section 106 Agreement to fund the bus company.

(f)   Traffic access to the recycling centre should only use Houghton Road and not through the residential area and by Darnel Road.  A solution would be a further access road with a new bridge through the Grainger development.

(g)  The schedule of funding for serving the main roads, for example Tamworth road junction and Sickle Way junctions and signage required clarification.

(h)  Clarification was also requested on the completion of pathways and lighting for footpaths in the Redrow and Grainger development.


Councillor Shimbart also made reference to the location of bus stops for First Bus.  They were none near Wesley Court and temporary bus stops should be provided for residents.


Mr Watson stated that the bus stops should adopt a style recommended by Hampshire County Council’s Transport Department.


Councillor Stallard also asked that the expiry date of the Section 106 money provided to First Bus needed to be defined, so that local residents did not have too higher expectation on the provision of bus services.


Lisa Turley representing Grainger stated that the contributions towards the Section 106 Agreement for buses were made for every 100 occupations and a further £100,000 had recently been paid.


Mr Tilbury stated that the points made would be progressed by the officers.


(ii)          Robin Macintosh


(a)  Mr Macintosh thanked Walker Construction for the consideration that had been given to health and safety whilst constructing the Town Park.


(b)  Mr Macintosh asked that the ownership of the hedgerow that extended from Purbrook to Waterlooville be clarified; he asked if it was under the control of Hampshire County Council or Grainger.  Part of the hedgerow had been removed to allow Redrow to erect advertising signs with the intention that the hedge would be reinstated in time.


(iii)         David Heck


Mr Heck asked about the new access being constructed adjacent to the Rowans Hospice.  Lisa Turley from Grainger explained that this  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.


Progress Report on West Of Waterlooville MDA WWF108 pdf icon PDF 2 MB

(Representatives of the developers will be in attendance to present and answer questions).



Mr Hughes presented the report.


Mr Hughes stated that Mrs Stickland had left the post of implementation officer to work for the Solent University.  The Forum wished her well in her future role.


Mr Hughes continued that the adoption by Hampshire County Council of the highways within the Taylor Wimpey development was imminent.


The revised planning application for phases 10a and 9a was expected to be submitted prior to Christmas.  Grainger and Savills were also considering matters relating to the infrastructure, access route and landscaping.


In respect of the Town Park, Mr Tilbury stated that discussions would take place with the new parish council over its adoption and maintenance out of the parish precept.  This would include the area of the Town Park that was in Havant Borough Council’s area, provided the Borough Council gave its consent to this arrangement.  There would be a commuted sum to be passed to the parish council, which would be proportioned with Havant Borough Council.


The Chairman commented that representatives of Winchester City Council and Havant Borough Council had met with the County Council to discuss the crossing on the B150.  There had not been an update since this meeting and this matter would be taken forward by the officers.


Mr Watson suggested that the Arts Advisory Panel’s artist in residence could work with the new parish council on a parish logo.  Mr Crichton replied that the shadow Parish Council’s Communications Working Party was already giving this matter consideration.


In answer to a question from Mr Crichton, Mr Hughes responded that further to the last meeting of the Forum there had been no update on proposals for the Taylor Wimpey employment land.


Lisa Turley from Grainger gave a short presentation.  Mrs Turley stated that there had been consultation on moving the community building from the Local Centre to Town Park (and providing a smaller satellite building at the Local Centre).  The feedback on the consultation had been that this proposal would decentralise the development, and it was also the opinion of retail experts that the community building was required at the Local Centre to ensure its retail viability by providing a hub and destination for local residents.


The Town Park would have a facility within the cricket pavilion comprising a cafe and toilets to serve the multiuse sports area (MUSA) in addition to the cricket pitch.


Consultation was also ongoing to establish the needs of the area and to identify the correct partners to make the development sustainable in the long term.  For example, to possibly provide a nursery that would generate user footfall and a mix of provision.


In respect of Phase 6 of the development, discussion was being undertaken with a medical group to provide a large doctor’s surgery on site with extensive service provision, and this would be located next to the extra care facility.


The children’s play area would be provided before the end of the year when it had been turfed and the Town Park would be ready for  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.


Update report of the West of Waterlooville Advisory Group - Councillor Cutler


Mr Lander Brinkley, Chairman of the Advisory Group, stated in summary that the shadow parish council had met three times.  David Chrichton was the Chairman and it had nine members in its body together with other additional residents who were also interested.  It had established four task groups: Governance, Facilities, Communications and Finance.  It had appointed an experienced Clerk in Tony Danniels and was arranging training through the Hampshire Association of Local Councils (HALC), which was one of the country’s premier organisations.


At Winchester City Council, Steve Lincoln, Community Planning Manger, was assisting in advising on the 2019/2020 parish council budget and arrangements with Denmead and Southwick and Widley Parish Council.  The legal procedure for the parish council’s establishment would be approved at the meeting of Winchester City’s Council on 7 November 2018.


The new Community Building had shared facilities and was 17 months overdue and it was hoped that larger meeting rooms would be available soon.  The arrangements on its future management; be it by the Parish Council or by a Community Hall Association were yet to be decided upon by the residents.


During debate it was established that the shadow parish council now had 10 members and that the formal handing over of the Community Building would take place once the leases had been agreed with Grainger.


Mr Tilbury added that the Community Building would initially come under the control of Winchester City Council who would then decide on its future ownership.  This could be the parish council or a sub entity, but it would remain in public ownership with its future management to be decided upon.



Registering to speak at this meeting:

The information below relates to the majority of meetings of the council but please note that different rules do apply for registering to speak at meetings of Full Council, Licensing Sub Committees, Planning Committees, Open Forums, and the Standards Hearing and Human Resources Sub Committees and the Appointments Panel. Further information can be obtained using the contact details above.

Members of the public may speak at this meeting, provided they have registered to speak three working days in advance. Please contact Democratic Services via or (01962) 848 264 to register to speak and for further details - which can also be found on the individual meeting agenda front sheets.


West of Waterlooville Forum on Tuesday, 6th November, 2018, 2.00 pm{sidenav}{content}